My Coorg Trip with Family: Disappointment at Mandalpatti Peak

My Coorg Trip with Family: Disappointment at Mandalpatti Peak

Table of Contents

Introduction

Last year my relatives had come to Bangalore to visit me. I was happy but the problem was that they had visited me in December (from December 21 to January 3) and I had the burden of taking them to Coorg for sightseeing in the peak demand season for tourism.

I did a lot of circus planning the trip. I was also not sure if I should also take them to Chikmagalur or not. Finally I decided to take them to Coorg after the peak demand gets over on 27th December.

We reached Mysore on 27th December in the noon by train from Kengeri and stayed at Maybe Orchid Mysuru for the night. Meanwhile we had hired a cab for 7 of us from Mysuru.

28th December

Golden Temple (Koppa)

The cab was ready in the morning at 6:30 am. We started and reached the Golden Temple at first. Somehow we skipped Cauvery Nisargadhama to save on time. We liked the serene landscape of the Buddha Temple. There were Buddhist Monks all around and since it was a weekday the crowd was less. We clicked some photos there and then left to visit Harangi Elephant Camp.

Harangi Elephant Camp

Harangi Elephant Camp

My friend had already told me to avoid Dubbare Elephant Camp and instead go to Harangi Elephant Camp as it has less crowd and his tip helped me. There was really less crowd there and we got enough time to see the elephants and feed them.

Harangi Elephant Camp Boating

There was also a big water reservoir at the Harangi Elephant Camp where visitors and enjoy paid boating facilities too.

Lunch at Madikeri

After this we stopped at Madikeri for Lunch. I had food at a regular restaurant but my wife and relatives went to a pure veg restaurant. I had Set Dosa and Kerala Parota. They had their own choices of Dosas and Sambhar.

Waterfalls in Coorg

Waterfall in Coorg

We visited one waterfall as well in Madikeri but somehow I am not able to recollect its name. It had a nice trek kind of walk before reaching the waterfall.

Disappointment at Mandalpatti Peak

I thought that Mandalpatti would be amazing due to the hype created around it. But it turned out to be the biggest disappointment for me in this trip to Coorg both financially as well as the time that we spent for this.

First of all the rent for the jeep was expensive for us (Rs 500 per person). We had to pay Rs 3500 for the to and fro trip. Also we felt like being scammed as after the jeep went into forest the driver asked us to pay Rs 500 more as a toll to enter the Jungle area which was not told earlier. Anyways we paid for it.

The trip was enjoyable as it was a complete off-the-road trip which only an experienced driver can do with a 4X4 Jeep. Once we reached the Mandalpatti peak I was completely disappointed as there were no clouds, no fog and no mist. There was only wind and we felt like we are standing in a desert with cool breeze. I personally did not enjoy visiting Mandalpatti peak.

My whole trip to Coorg costed me close to Rs 10,000 out of which Rs 4000 were wasted on Mandalpatti peak.

I also regret skipping Raja Seat to visit Mandalpatti as we could have got the same (cloudless fogless) view there as well saving about Rs 3000 and 2 hours of time.

Coming Back to Bengaluru via Mysuru

I was so disappointed that I asked the driver to travel back to Mysuru. It was because of the Mandalpatti peak I skipped Cauvery Nisargadhama and Raja Seat and I also reached Mysore late.

We then decided to take the last train to Bengaluru and came back to our home as staying in Mysuru just for the night would have again costed me Rs 6000 for 7 people so it was a wise decision to spend just Rs 1000 and come back to home and sleep.

My Visit to Coorg Waterfalls

Coorg always looks like a green paradise to me. Last monsoon I drove from Madikeri and visited five waterfalls. Each one felt different. Some were easy to reach while others needed a good trek. The rain made the water strong and the forests very green. Even in other seasons they look beautiful. Here is what I saw and how you can plan your own trip.

Waterfall My Experience How I Reached What I Did Entry Fee My Tips
Abbey Falls It sits in the middle of coffee estates and misty forest. Water falls about 70 feet. It looked powerful in the rain. Drive through estates with nice views, then a short easy walk under tall trees. Stood and watched, took photos, listened to the water. Bathing not allowed. ₹20 per person Best in July to September. Wear comfortable shoes. Path can be slippery. Be careful near rocks.
Iruppu Falls Hidden inside Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary. Multi-level fall about 160 feet high. Surrounded by jungle, birds and monkeys. Scenic drive through the sanctuary, then moderate 2 km trek. Swam in the pool at the bottom, walked around and relaxed. ₹50 per person Around 80 km from Madikeri. Wear trek shoes. Carry bug spray, sunscreen and water. Keep distance from animals.
Mallalli Falls (Kumaradhara Falls) Adventure type place. Water drops 100 feet. Feels quiet and special because it is away from main roads. Hard trek through thick forest and streams. Swam carefully in the pool and walked on trails. Strong current so stay alert. ₹50 per person Strong shoes, bug spray, water and snacks needed. Guide is useful. Monsoon is good but slippery.
Chelavara Falls (Embepare Falls) Quiet and calm. Not very big but the single stream flowing into a peaceful pool felt nice. Short turn from Virajpet-Talakaveri highway, then easy 20-minute downhill walk. Watched from a distance. Entry near the falls is now restricted. Not mentioned Best in monsoon. Wear comfortable shoes. Carry bug spray. No facilities. Take your trash back.
Burude Falls In Siddapur area. Multi-level fall. Exciting after the trek. Mist and sound felt fresh. Drive through villages, then moderate trek across forest and streams. Roads can be rough. Explored different levels, took photos and stood in the mist. Not mentioned Monsoon is best. Strong shoes, bug spray, water and food needed. Guide helps. Be careful near edges.

These points are from my visits and what other travelers shared. Fees, timings and rules can change so check before you go. Waterfalls look best in the rainy season but safety comes first. Pack only what you need and leave the place clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment