My First Birthday in School: The Day I Ate All the Toffees

My First Birthday in School: The Day I Ate All the Toffees

First Day at School

Table of Contents

Starting School as an Introvert

I was just five when I first went to school. I sat at the place where every introvert child in every class does, in the corner at the last bench. It was for the first time where I witnessed different teachers for different subjects unlike UKG where just one teacher teaches all the subjects.

No one spoke to me on the first day, neither did I. All I did the whole day was just listen to the teachers, note down what the teachers wrote on the black board and came back to home.

Making Friends and My Birthday

Next day, it was birthday of a girl. The teacher called her in front of the class and everyone clapped and sang - Happy Birthday song for her. The birthday girl then gave toffees to the teacher and also distributed them to the whole class.

Few days later, I now had a few friends in the class. I now liked going to school. After a few months, it was my birthday and I had also got two packs of toffees to distribute to the class. The teacher called me in front and everyone sang Birthday song for me. I thanked everyone with a smile and went back to my seat.

Birthday Toffees Incident

The Toffee Lie

Teacher didn't start teaching as she was waiting for something to happen, in fact the whole class was waiting for it. Then, I opened my bag, put my hands in and took the textbook out. I started to turn over the pages till I opened the ongoing chapter.

The whole class was looking at me, they were expecting me to take out the toffees and distribute them. But, I pretended as if it wasn't even my birthday today.

After waiting for 5 minutes the teacher asked me - Come on please distribute the toffees quickly so that we can start studying.

I gulped and said - Ma'am, Toffees ?? !!!

Teacher - What happened? Didn't you get toffees to distribute to the class?

I - No ma'am, sorry! Actually, my dad told me not to distribute toffees in the class.

The teacher was in shock. Maybe she was thinking how could someone's father ask his kid not to distribute toffees in the class.

The teacher then, without wasting much time, asked all students to open their books and started teaching.

When Dad Found Out

My dad used to pick me up daily from the school. Today when my dad came to pick me up, the teacher met him and asked - Sir, it was his birthday today, then why didn't you get toffees for him? Poor boy, he was so sad today as he couldn't distribute toffees to the class.

Dad - What? But, I purchased two packets of toffees for him, in fact I told him to distribute two Toffees per classmate.

Teacher - Sir, two Toffees? He didn't even distribute one. In fact we all were waiting for him, but all he took out of his school bag was a textbook.

Suddenly, my dad's expressions changed. He looked at me in anger.

Dad - Ma'am, I'm sorry for what happened, let me call him here.

I came to the teacher and my dad.

Dad - Why didn't you distribute the toffees? Where are the toffees?

I - Dad, a... Aaa.. actually I opened the pack of Toffees yesterday and ate one. I liked the toffee so much that I ate a few more.

Dad - So you ate all the toffees by today and you don't have any for the class now?

I - Dad, actually, I still have it in my bag. I wanted to have all the toffees and that's why I told a lie to the teacher that you had asked me not to distribute toffees in the class.

Dad said to the teacher - Ma'am I'm sorry for this, tomorrow he will distribute toffees to the whole class.

The Punishment at Home

Dad took me with him and reached home. I was scared travelling back home but as my dad didn't say anything, I thought maybe my dad is not angry anymore.

The moment I kept my bag on the table, I got a tight slap on my face. Tears rolled down my eyes, as I knew why I got this slap. I begged my dad and asked for forgiveness.

I - Dad, I'm sorry, I will distribute all toffees to the class, I will not even eat one. I will stop eating toffees, I won't touch them for the whole of my life. Please forgive me.

By the time I could complete this sentence, I had already got four slaps.

I didn't have my dinner that day. I saw my dad was not there at home in the evening.

By the time my Dad came back, I had slept.

The Next Day – Making It Right

The next day I woke up and found two more new packs of toffees lying on the table, but I didn't react even after seeing them.

My dad told me, Take these two new packs too with you today and distribute all the Toffees to your class.

I was sorry, I didn't utter a word in reply.

Finally, I was in my class with all the four packs of toffees, two new and two old ones.

Before the class started, the teacher called me in front again today and announced to the class - Children, yesterday he forgot to bring the toffees for the class but today he has got them for us. We know you got lots of Toffees for us, can we have them now?

I, with a smile on my face, distributed four Toffees each to all the classmates. The teacher, I and all the classmates were happy now.

The class started with a smile on everyone's face today.

No comments:

Post a Comment